WHAT TO VISIT IN LOVERE
Ancient proto-historical settlement built in a strategic position to control the roads leading to the Camonica Valley. It is located in a wooded area north west of the village, right under the typical rocks of Monte Cala. The existing remains include traces of bastions and walls dating back to different ages.
How to reach it: from via San Maurizio, take the steps of via Castelliere on the right. Take the path at the end of the steps. On the right you find the remains of Lovere’s oldest settlement.
CONVENT OF SAN MAURIZIO, Via San Maurizio, 73
The Capuchin Convent, along with the Church and the old chapel of San Pietro, is located in a scenic position. The history of this convent dates back to the fifteenth century, when the Observant Friars built it with the help of Lovere’s major families. In 1600 the Reformed Friars Minor expanded the building and erected a new church that would be altered in the following centuries. In the square there is a statue of Saint Francis made by the sculptor Luciano Zambetti.
Outside the convent’s walls there is the old chapel of San Pietro, entirely frescoed, perhaps used for public devotion during the plague periods.
TORRICELLA (it can be reached through a path, with a walk of about 15 minutes, and can be visited with the permission of the nuns of the Shrine of Saints Gerosa and Capitanio)
This is the last existing section of Lovere’s medieval walls. It was built after the eleventh century. The small fort, topped by a cross, was used as a lookout and to signal arrivals. From the Torricella a secret passage, a tunnel, led to the lake.
SHRINE OF SAINTS GEROSA AND CAPITANIO, Via S. Gerosa, 14
The current shrine replaced, and incorporated, the small church of the Conventino, built by Bartolomea Capitanio. The cornerstone was laid in 1931 and the works went on until 1938. On the outside the temple appears in all its beauty and luminosity. Its outstanding element is the bell-tower that rises to 21 meters. The interior is a triumph of decoration and golden stuccoes. As the site of the convent is under a constant danger of hydro-geological instability, the building is often the object of stabilization and restoration works.
TOWER OF THE ALGHISI, Via Matteotti (not visitable inside)
Powerful medieval square tower built with quoins of local calcareous rock. It was part of a defensive system connected to the medieval settlement’s walls. It was built by the Alghisi family, who come to and settled in the village from Clusone around 1300.
PIAZZA VITTORIO EMANUELE AND CIVIC TOWER
The square, of medieval origin, is the heart of the old village. It was the site of the old castle built by the Celeri family, surrounded by walls and with an inner courtyard, destroyed in the fifteenth century. The civic tower, called Torrazzo, was part of that building. The local prison was housed both in the tower and in the adjoining buildings. The fresco (a copy of the original) depicting the lion of Saint Mark was made in 1444.
Recently the tower was restored and will soon be open to the public who will enjoy the amazing sight from its top.
TORRE SOCA, Via Gramsci (not visitable inside)
The tower rises in the old district of the Beccarie and supports the apse of the Church of San Giorgio. It has a square plan and a powerful structure made of square and regular quoins. It has a double pointed arch portal.
CHURCH OF SAN GIORGIO, Via Cavour, 20
The church we can see it today is quite different from its original medieval shape, partially disappeared except for the apse as the building was completely rebuilt at the end of the fifteenth century. The interior includes paintings and decoration of rare beauty, dating back to the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The baptismal font and the adoring angels on the altar of the Madonna del Rosario, made by the Fantoni workshop, are particularly noteworthy.
PIAZZA XIII MARTIRI
Formerly the market square and now commonly called harbor square, it is dedicated to the thirteen partisans who were executed here during the civil war of 1943-45. With its cafés and shops, it is the busiest spot of Lovere. The arches of the northern section resemble the porticoes that fronted the old shops. Its size has changed over the centuries, until the current shape resulting from an urban redesign during the eighteenth century. The monument to freedom with a fountain in Carrara marble at the square’s center pays homage to the wars fought to create the Italian state.
CHAPEL of the CONVENT of SANTA CHIARA
The Convent of Santa Chiara, the former entrance to which was from Via Santa Maria, 43, was built in the sixteenth century. The nuns originally used the church of San Martino, the very first parish of Lovere established in the eleventh century outside the medieval walls, where important artworks were found during the restoration works in 1980 (the ancient fresco of San Martino is now at the Tadini Academy).
Towards the end of 1500 they built a new church, that can only be seen from the outside, with a powerful semicircular abse that rises on via Santa Maria.
The congregation may have access to the Chapel, consecrated in 1975, from via Martinoli.
CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA, Via fratelli Pellegrini
Built between 1473 and 1483, the church is located in the Renaissance section of the village, on a steep but strategic site for communication. From the top 33 steps, descend to the northern portal (only opened during ceremonies), a privileged point of access to the spectacular and magnificent three-aisle interior. Its construction was funded by the villagers and the rich wool merchants. The paintings of the richly decorated interior were produced over the centuries. The basilica’s most prestigious piece if the organ wind-chest, originally made for the old Cathedral in Brescia and painted by Ferramola and Moretto.
MUSEUM OF NATURAL SCIENCES, Via Marconi, 9 – Villa Milesi
Established by the city administration in 1996, the museum includes several sections: ornithological, entomological, malacological, botanical, educational and mineralogical (www.museoscienzelovere.it).
Open to the public since 1828, the Tadini Academy Gallery is among the most ancient in Lombardy and has preserved its 19th century identity.
The very core of its collection is represented by the works of Antonio Canova: Religion, a rare sketch for a terracotta of the Tadini funerary stele, dedicated to the memory of the Count’s son, to be found in the chapel.
The Gallery preserves an abundant selection of 14th and 18th century Lombardy and Venetian paintings, masterpieces by Jacopo Bellini, Paris Bordon, Pitocchetto and Francesco Hayez, as well as an extraordinary collection of Italian and European porcelains.
MONTE CALA (SAN GIOVANNI) A walk of about one hour. From the Albergo Diffuso reception area, walk up via Gramsci and take via Cavour. Having reached the church of San Giorgio, take the street on your right, after the apartment buildings, take the road rising on the left (Via Decio Celeri). Walk straight ahead for 20 minutes until you reach a fountain (at Davine). Take a left turn at Carrozzone and walk up to San Giovanni. From the high point a stunning view down on the lake. There you may either have a packed lunch or enjoy local dishes at the restaurant. The walk includes passage on paved road, unpaved road and path. Comfy shoes are advised.
PANORAMIC TERRACES IN THE MARINA